The following is an informative teaching gathered and written by Tommy Kelly of New Wine Fellowship in Houston, Mississippi.
In preparing to write this pamphlet I read several articles and books and listened to some audio and video teachings. Several definitions come to mind for soul ties:
- A soul tie is connection between two people souls. It links their souls together and this can be good or bad.
- A link that ties two souls together in the spiritual realm.
- Simply defined, a soul tie is a spiritual and emotional bonding between the souls of two or more people. Dr. Peter Horrobin, Founder and International Director of Ellel Ministries, explains that a soul tie is a relationship in which we are either rightfully bonded or subject to bondage. It is a bonding (either good or bad) that holds people in a relationship whether they like it or not. A soul tie can serve many roles, but in its simplest form, it ties two souls together in the spiritual realm. Soul ties of married couples draw them together like magnets, while soul ties between fornicators can draw a beaten and abused woman to the man which in the natural realm she would hate and run from, but instead she runs to him even though he doesn’t love her, and treats her like dirt. In the demonic world, unholy soul ties can serve as bridges between two people to pass demonic garbage through.
Ways Soul Ties Are Formed
1. Sexual relationships
- Godly soul ties between a husband and his wife. “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” Ephesians 5:31 (ESV)
- Ungodly soul ties (fornication or adultery, etc) – “Or do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, “The two will become one flesh.” 1 Corinthians 6:16 (ESV)
It is a fact highlighted by extensive experience that the soul-ties established through ungodly sexual activity are a prime entry point for the demonic.
Peter Horrobin observes; “Every time a person has sex outside of marriage, an ungodly soul tie is established and the demons are given rights of entry. The deeper a person enters into such immoral relationships, the stronger becomes the hold of the demonic on the participants, and this can then become a gateway for further, and sometimes, extensive demonization.”
In I Corinthians 6:15-17, the Apostle Paul writes; “Don’t you realize that your bodies are actually parts of Christ? Should a man take his body, which is part of Christ, and join it to a prostitute? Never! And don’t you realize that if a man joins himself to a prostitute, he becomes one body with her? For the Scriptures say, ‘The two are united into one.’ But the person who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with him” (NLT).
Once again, the Word of God makes a clear connection between our sexuality and spirituality. When we join ourselves sexually with another human being, we become one with them and joined in spirit. Sexually intimacy is the deepest way that we yield ourselves to another person in relationship and offer our whole being to another in a very vulnerable manner.
2. Close relationships
- King David and Jonathan had a good soul tie as a result of a good friendship (1 Samuel 18:1, “And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.”, but bad soul ties can form from bad relationships as well. Idolizing somebody can cause a bad soul tie.
- Dominating parental soul-ties spell disaster for healthy sexual relationships inside marriage. A dominant soul-tie with mother, for example, will often result in the child having a spirit that has gained access through the mother. Such an evil spirit can even mimic the character and dominance of the mother, so that even if the mother is many miles away, the person feels the pressure inside of mother’s influence.
Other soul ties can be created through unhealthy co-dependent, domineering, or controlling relationships with family members. Soul ties with family members can result when a client was brought up in a very controlling environment or when they were abandoned or rejected by a parent. For example, young boys who grow up with highly controlling mothers may never learn how to think for themselves and to grow in emotional, mental, and spiritual maturity as men. These maternal soul ties can be so strong in a young man’s life that even though the young man may be off at college thousands of miles away from home, they can still feel the pressure and hear the “voice” of their mother inside of them, always telling them what they should do.
The same can be true of father-son relationships or of mother-daughter relationships. For instance, a mother’s identity may have become so wrapped up in their children that they do not have a mature identity of their own and don’t know how to cope with life after the children have grown up and left home. This may lead a mother to become even more controlling, manipulative, domineering, and to even use “emotional blackmail” at times to ensure that her children never become mature enough to totally “flee the nest” and leave home. All of these ungodly behaviors result in the formation ungodly soul ties between mother and children.
3. Vows, commitments and agreements
- Vows bind the soul – “If a man vows a vow to the LORD, or swears an oath to bind himself by a pledge, he shall not break his word. He shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth.” Numbers 30:2
- Covenants, spells, oaths, etc. also bind the soul.
4. Trauma and abuse
- Sadly, some soul ties are formed through experiences of trauma and abuse. Inner healing and deliverance ministers acknowledge at least six forms of abuse: sexual, verbal, emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual abuse. Some (clients) have experienced horrific forms of Satanic Ritual Abuse (often referred to as SRA. The sharing of blood is often involved in these types of occult rituals and dedications). All of these experiences show the harsh reality that when we are abused, we become demonized. Because of this, when we are abused, demonic soul ties often form between the abuser and the abused.
How to Break a Soul Tie
- If any sins were committed to cause this soul tie, repent of them! Fornication is perhaps one of the most common ways to create nasty soul ties.
- If gifts were given to you by the other person in connection with the sin or unholy relationship, such as rings, flowers, cards, bras, etc. I would get rid of them! Such things symbolize the ungodly relationship, and can hold a soul tie in place. If you are still friends or in a relationship (just know it’s no longer an ungodly relationship), like say a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, except you’ve repented of and forsaken the unholy practices you used to do in your relationship, then I don’t feel it is necessary to destroy all the gifts and things that you have been given. I would still encourage you to get rid of anything that symbolizes the ungodly practices in the relationship though, such as if a guy gives a girl a bra and panties with his initials on them during fornication. I wouldn’t encourage you to hang on to such things that symbolize sin or that are wrong to give each other before marriage. Things such as flowers and love letters given during an adultery should be destroyed.
- Any rash vows or commitments made that played a part in forming the soul tie should be renounced and repented of, and broken in Jesus’ name. Even things like “I will love you forever”, or “I could never love another man!” need to be renounced. They are spoken commitments that need to be undone verbally. As Proverbs 21:23 tells us, “Whoever guards his mouth and tongue keeps his soul from trouble.” The tongue has the ability to bring the soul great troubles and bondage.
- Forgive that person if you have anything against them.
- Renounce the soul tie. Do this verbally, and in Jesus’ name. Example, “In Jesus’ name, I now renounce any ungodly soul ties formed between myself and ______ as a result of _______________ (fornication, etc.).”
- Break the soul tie in Jesus’ name! Do this verbally using your authority in Jesus. Example, “I now break and sever any ungodly soul ties formed between myself and _________ as a result of ______________ (fornication, etc.) in Jesus’ name.”
New Wine Fellowship 129 3rd Street Houston, MS. 38851